Vanished Sanford: The Wellbourne Block

[juxtapose leftsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/untitled-7.jpg” rightsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/19331282513_8038d7b534_h.jpg”]

The Wellbourne Block was originally built in the surge of construction after the fire of 1887 and served as the first Seminole County Courthouse. The first picture is taken circa 1913, with the clock tower in full view and intact. The building was remodeled in the early 1920s to become the Valdez Hotel.

[juxtapose leftsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/19331282513_8038d7b534_h.jpg” rightsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/19767925390_239a86b023_o.jpg”]

It remained the Valdez Hotel until 1970 when the building was demolished and replaced eventually by a parking lot.

[juxtapose leftsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/19767925390_239a86b023_o.jpg” rightsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/19969865895_563c3263e9_k.jpg”]