[juxtapose leftsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/18969975261_e90c9321e0_b.jpg” rightsrc=”http://projects.cah.ucf.edu/publichistory/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/18776764488_9cf4b0288b_k.jpg”]
The Hester Shepard Block was constructed after the 1887 fire that destroyed much of downtown Sanford by M.K. Hester and Samuel Shepard. It was used as a fire station from about 1890 to 1974, but has also housed the county jail, police station, and city hall at one point or another throughout it’s tenure in downtown Sanford. The top floor was removed in 1928, due to dangerous conditions. As of now, the building is for sale by the Historical Perservation department of Sanford City Hall. The building has been renovated for private use, though the new owner would be responsible for restoring many of the historical fixtures and details.